Monday, October 3, 2011

On the road again... with George the trucker

So I'm officially on the road again! I started hitching from the pull out just past Rilkoffs around 4 on Saturday and within half an hour a mother and son from Kaslo had picked me up. They took me as far as Rock Creek and dropped me off At the bridge before the turnoff for Beaverdell. I was a little unsure about how many people would be traveling along that route but I decided to give it a try and before I could even get my thumb out, a rich 50 year old trucker named Adrian that Owned 3 ranches and several hotels, but was hauling manure for somebody else that night picked me up and drove me right to UBC where I stayed with my friend Becki for two nights. I was considering staying a third so I could sit in on one of her classes, but after checking the weather forecast, we decided my best bet was to leave today.

I started hitching this mor ing from the Same place I had started from last time, and had some amazing luck. I was barely even at the spot before an Indian man stopped and offered me a ride to Vernon. I had a good spot and Vernon was only 30 minutes down the road so I declined the ride and stuck my thumb out. The first car to pass stopped and an older looking lady offered me a another ride to Vernon. I declined again and stuck my thumb out a third time. A couple of cars passed without stopping and I was getting a little cold just standing there so I Put my sign down to put my jacket on and the second I did so, a man that looked like Arnold shwartsanager (how the hell do u spell that???) stopped and offered me ANOTHER ride to version. This time I accepted and be drove me to just before Vernon.

From there, I started hitching again and in less than 10 minutes, man going THE OTHER DIRECTION stopped. His name was George and I rode with him all the way back to Kelowna to pick up his truck and trailer. He was going through to Calgary, but I got off in Lake Louise where I am now. Along the way we talked about all kinds of things and he told me stories about how he met his wives and about the the grand adventures he's had on the road. He bought me lunch and latter, even a lottery ticket. I didn't win anything, but I kept the ticket anyways. He talked about his love for the outdoors and especially for horse back riding so I told him about the Pacific Crest Trail. he seemed really excited about it. When it was finally time for me to go, he gave me his email address and I promised to send him regular pictures of my travels. I love hitchhiking :)

No comments:

Post a Comment