Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pay it Forward...

so im officially in Mexico now! I arrived in the Evening on Monday at about 7pm and took a taxi to a hostel in the centre of Cancun (for 16 dollars... apparently there is a bus for like 3) the hostel cost 8 dollars a night and there were 2 German girls sharing a room with me. It was their last night, so we went out to the hostel bar for a drink, but I was exhausted from the travel and so, spent the rest of the night at the hostel. In the morning, I changed some money and started walking around the downtown area practicing my very limited spanish on people, when I met a man from Nashville Tennesee. He was about 50 years old and had just spent the night in the bus station because a taxi had just driven away with his bags. He had only a few pesos left and asked if I could lend him 8 dollars for a hostel so he wouldnt have to sleep in the bus terminal again. We started talking and he was very appreciative and said it was a very humbling experience for him. I gave him 20 dollars so he could get some food and a hostel at least before he could get to the consulate in the morning as there was no Embasy in Cancun. We went into the bus station to ask about the cost of a ticket to the embassy 4 hours away and it was only about 40 dollars, so I gave him 60. It was very nice to be able to help someone out after so many people had helped me in Australia. One time in Particular, when I had lost my debit card and had no access to a bank for a few days, I got a ride out of town with a man who gave me 50 dollars for food and a hostel and drove me right into the city. It was like he had given me 100 times that, so when I met Roy Allen smith (that was his name) I was quite happy to be able to pass that money on. He asked if he could repay me, but I said that he should keep it and maybe one day he will be able to help somebody else out in the same way. It´s amazing what such a small amount of monery can mean to somebody in a time of need.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kaitlin,

    Roy Allen told me the same history to me in Cancun a few days ago and I gave money too. I feel stupid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same experience here and got his picture! please read https://plus.google.com/+dhorseman/posts/Y7de75SD3nR

    ReplyDelete